#WithoutPrejudice: Riots, Human Rights Act and hacking
12 August 2011
I had the honour of appearing on this week’s #WithoutPrejudice. The podcast also featured regulars CharonQC, David Allen Green and Carl Gardner, alongside guests former Lib-Dem MP Dr Evan Harris, David Wales, a criminal lawyer and blogger.
- what criminal offences rioters and looters are being charged with, and why;
- the Riot (Damages) Act 1886, and
- whether rioters and looters should be denied social housing;
- the European Court of Human Rights’ judgments in Al Skeini and Al Jedda;
- the withdrawal of human rights organisations from participation in the Gibson inquiry into complicity in torture;
- the government’s Bill of Rights Commission; and finally
- Hackgate, the terms of reference of the Leveson inquiry, and what to hope and fear from it.