Human rights and fake news: what we need to do now

8 March 2017 by

Last night I gave the annual Human Rights Lecture for the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s Wales office.

My chosen topic was access to justice, human rights and fake news. I tried to sum up some of my experiences of setting up this blog and RightsInfo, made a probably ill-advised foray into cognitive psychology, and also gave some modest (and non-exhaustive!) proposals for what the human rights community could be doing to make things better.

Thank you for the EHRC for inviting me, to Cardiff University for their very gracious hosting and the audience who were really engaged and asked some difficult questions!

You can watch here or below. Comments most welcome.

6 comments

1. barou@hotmail.co.uk says:

I have been unlawfully detained by home office on 31 January 2017.
    My application was submitted on 24 January 2017.
    They denied my credibility . I spend 19 days in prison for nothing ,unfair and unlawful treatment where can I get help I will like take my case to human rights
    They release me after 18 days when my solicitor fax and emailed the evidence receipt received by home office 24 .01.2017 .
    I am traumatised by this situation

2. George Morley says:

Muriel makes a good point as I am in Canada and cannot see the video. We get blocked from many UK video’s in the news and from the BBC. Thanks Adam

3. Fraser says:

Hi Adam,

Just a tip — if you want busy people to get your message, can you please make the text of your talk available? Sorry, but there’s no way I can spend 47 minutes on this. A text, on the other hand, allows one to cut-and-paste the good bits and save them. It’s so much more efficient!

Keep up your great work,

Muriel

________________________________

1. Adam Wagner says:

Thanks for the tip Muriel – I think a transcript is coming from the EHRC, I’ll let you know when it arrives.

4. Liz says:

Hi Adam, You gave an excellent, thought-provoking lecture. Thank you. My 14 year old son accompanied me and enjoyed it too. He came up with an interesting point which he was too shy to make in Q&A. He said that it’s far easier to provoke outrage (as shown in the Tabloids’ Fake News HR stories) than it is to promote a sense of optimism and positive belief in HR, and that people prefer to read these stories because they almost enjoy being outraged. Of course, this should not stop us trying to promote HR in a more engaging and narrative style. Best wishes, Liz

1. Adam Wagner says:

Hi Liz – your son made a great point, please thank your son for making it. I agree – outrage is easy, optimism is harder. But all of the great movements in history have been a combination of both! Outrage can be against injustice too.

Welcome to the UKHRB

This blog is run by 1 Crown Office Row barristers' chambers. Subscribe for free updates here. The blog's editorial team is:
Commissioning Editor: Jonathan Metzer
Editorial Team: Rosalind English
Angus McCullough QC David Hart QC
Martin Downs
Jim Duffy

Free email updates

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog for free and receive weekly notifications of new posts by email.

Categories

Disclaimer

This blog is maintained for information purposes only. It is not intended to be a source of legal advice and must not be relied upon as such. Blog posts reflect the views and opinions of their individual authors, not of chambers as a whole.

Our privacy policy can be found on our ‘subscribe’ page or by clicking here.

Tags

Aarhus Abortion Abu Qatada Abuse Access to justice adoption ALBA Al Qaeda animal rights anonymity Article 1 Protocol 1 Article 2 article 3 Article 4 article 5 Article 6 Article 8 Article 9 article 10 Article 11 article 13 Article 14 Artificial Intelligence Asbestos assisted suicide asylum Australia autism benefits Bill of Rights biotechnology blogging Bloody Sunday brexit Bribery Catholicism Chagos Islanders Children children's rights China christianity citizenship civil liberties campaigners climate change clinical negligence Coercion common law confidentiality consent conservation constitution contempt of court Control orders Copyright coronavirus costs Court of Protection crime Cybersecurity Damages data protection death penalty defamation deportation deprivation of liberty Detention disability disclosure Discrimination disease divorce DNA domestic violence duty of care ECHR ECtHR Education election Employment Environment Equality Act Ethiopia EU EU Charter of Fundamental Rights EU costs EU law European Court of Justice evidence extradition extraordinary rendition Family Fertility FGM Finance foreign criminals foreign office France freedom of assembly Freedom of Expression freedom of information freedom of speech Gay marriage Gaza genetics Germany Google Grenfell Health HIV home office Housing HRLA human rights Human Rights Act human rights news Huntington's Disease immigration India Indonesia injunction Inquests international law internet Inuit Iran Iraq Ireland Islam Israel Italy IVF Japan Judaism judicial review jury trial JUSTICE Justice and Security Bill Law Pod UK legal aid Leveson Inquiry LGBTQ Rights liability Libel Liberty Libya Lithuania local authorities marriage mental capacity Mental Health military Ministry of Justice modern slavery music Muslim nationality national security NHS Northern Ireland nuclear challenges Obituary ouster clauses parental rights parliamentary expenses scandal patents Pensions Personal Injury Piracy Plagiarism planning Poland Police Politics pollution press Prisoners Prisons privacy Professional Discipline Property proportionality Protection of Freedoms Bill Protest Public/Private public access public authorities public inquiries rehabilitation Reith Lectures Religion RightsInfo right to die right to family life Right to Privacy right to swim riots Roma Romania Round Up Royals Russia Saudi Arabia Scotland secrecy secret justice sexual offence Sikhism Smoking social media South Africa Spain special advocates Sports Standing statelessness stop and search Strasbourg Supreme Court Supreme Court of Canada surrogacy surveillance Syria Tax technology Terrorism tort Torture travel treaty TTIP Turkey UK Ukraine USA US Supreme Court vicarious liability Wales War Crimes Wars Welfare Western Sahara Whistleblowing Wikileaks wind farms WomenInLaw YearInReview Zimbabwe
%d bloggers like this: